Thanks to overwhelmingly positive responses to the demonstrations in my first book “Mastering Watercolors – a practical guide,” I’ve created this new book as a collection of additional how-to demos. Here you’ll find twelve step-by-step paintings with reference photos and plenty of images to guide you through each piece. I’ve also included a section on watercolor basics, materials, and what to consider when working from photographs. Continue reading “Watercolors Step By Step”
My three year project to write a book to assist artists with their watercolor painting is now complete. Both a paperback and eBook version are available from Amazon.
Watercolor is a magical and often challenging medium. However, once mastered, it will reward you with the pleasure of creating striking works of art of infinite variety.
I have been painting with watercolors for over 18 years and have been teaching for more than ten. I love the challenge of watercolor painting, and especially enjoy finding simple ways to explain and teach this wonderful medium.
Through this book, I set out to clear up widespread misconceptions about painting with watercolors. These common confusions hold watercolor artists back from achieving their full potential. I have tried to fill it with practical advice and techniques. My aim was to simplify watercolor painting to assist you in your personal watercolor adventure – so you could enjoy the journey!
Here are some of the topics covered in the book:
- Key points that will move your work to a new level
- Watercolor basics
- How to fix watercolor paintings
- Step by step demonstrations
- Understanding the importance of water and time when painting with watercolors
- Solutions to watercolor painting problems
- Reflections and shadows explained
- How to paint outdoors with watercolors
- Perspective for landscape and urban street scenes
- How to paint water scenes
- What are tones and how to see them
- Selling your artwork